Monday, March 8, 2010

Self Exploration

As I grow older I often think back on my childhood and happily see my foundation has not strayed too far! I was fortunate to grow up with my Mom at home until I attended first grade. My family, Mom, Dad, Sister and Gram Rainy knew when I was just a baby I would be one of those kids who could not keep my attention on anything for very much time unless I was outside and free to do what I please. I was lucky to have the family that I did because they would do anything and everything to make sure I was entertained. When my sister went to pre-school and kindergarden it was just Mom and Me! Our daily routine consisted of up at 6am for Cheerio's, sliced banana's, OJ and or Hot Chocolate if it was a chilly morning. After my sis headed off to school Mom and I would go to aerobics. There I would join in on the work outs or play on the stage... depending on my attention span. Next Mom and I would rush home to clean the house! This was seriously one of the most fun memories I have of my Mom. She would crank on the tunes, start up the vacuum and dance around the house, never once leaving me out of the experience! Who knew cleaning could be so fun! Soon after the vacuum was put away we would sit down for lunch and laughs. By that time my belly would be full and my eyes tiered. Then Mom would say, 'Sarie are you ready for your nap?' Oh man I could remember getting so giddy I could hardly stand it! I would run in and grab my pillow which was the equivalent to many kids blankies... (I still have one special pillow that travels with me everywhere) I would rush out to make sure Mom was coming to tuck me in! She was always on her way down the hallway with a big smile on her face. Maybe it was because she knew she had at least an hour to herself but I still believe it was because she had so much love and was so proud of her baby girl! My head was down, my body tucked in, eyes closed and in less that five minutes I was out for the count. After nap time I was up, refreshed and ready to head outside where I would spend the rest of the afternoon climbing the giant Willows, making forts under the Evergreens, cliff jump off the huge Cottonwood stumps along the creek bed, swing from the one huge branch in the tree that had to be torn down due to a some nasty disease. Man I loved that tree but don't recall what kind it was! Needless to say I spent most of my childhood fifteen feet above ground in any tree that would hold my little body. When my sister got home from school I would usually always greet her but then run right back outside for more fresh air play. Dad would get home around 5pm every night and he would come out to throw the frizbee, baseball, football, basketball and most nights we would do all four with Mom and Sister to join in the fun. Dinner was served around 6pm and yes we would sit together as a family and enjoy every second of each others company. One would think by then Sarie would be ready to rest... Nope not the case at all! Once I had a nice healthy meal my body was re-energized and ready to head back outside. Some nights before bedtime I would still have too much energy to lay down to listen to Mom, Dad or my Sister read me a story so Mom would shoo me outside to run laps around the house! Oh ya, sometimes my Sister would join me and always Mom and Dad would sit on the back porch counting my laps. They wouldn't be a bit surprised if I would show off with cartwheels, summersaults, skipping skills or what ever I could do to get a chuckle out of them!!! It wasn't long after my evening laps that I was in the bath for a quick scrub, lathered in lotion and in bed cuddled with my pillow, my dog and tucked in with my Dad's famous Chucky Tucky. After a deep eight hour snooze I was up and ready to do it all over again!

These are some photo's of me now at age 30 continuing my love for the great outdoors and climbing trees!


1 comment:

  1. I like the up close pic the best, and I love your story...I shoosh Harlee outside sometimes and have her run laps of the house too... :)